TO INSTALL A NEWER PRINTER IN WINDOWS XP:
1) Insert the Printer Software CD into the CD-ROM Drive. (The Printer Software CD is the CD that came with your printer. If you don’t have this CD, you can usually get the software you need from the manufacturer’s web site.)
2) If the Printer Installation window automatically comes up on the screen, then click on the Install or Setup button on it. Otherwise, click on Start, then on Control Panel, then double-click on the Printers and Faxes icon (or click once on Printers and other hardware).
Note: Some printers must be installed from the Installation or Setup program on the Printer Software CD and are not installed using the steps outlined here.
3) Click on Add a printer on the left.
4) Click on Next or Install.
5) Select ¤ Local Printer.
6) Click on the Have Disk button.
7) Click on the Browse button.
8) Under Drive:, click on the Down Arrow and select the drive letter for your CD-ROM Drive (D:\, E:\ or M:\ ?).
9) Click on OK.
10) Click on the model of your printer. Click on OK.
11) Type in a name for this printer or accept the one listed in the box.
[12) You may be asked to type in the Serial Number on the printer. The Serial Number can usually be found on the back of the printer or on its underside.]
13) Click on Yes, if you want this printer to be the “default” (main) printer used by all of the programs on your computer.
14) Print out a test page if you want to check the connection between the computer and the printer.
15) Click on Yes, if the test printout is acceptable.
16) Click on OK or Finish to complete the installation process.